- Simon Rookyard
Manchester University student, Simon Rookyard
1 small onion, chopped
150gm medium oats
900 ml water
2 heaped teaspoons medium curry powder
100ml semi-skimmed milk
60ml double cream
150gm smoked Scottish mackerel
2 hard boiled eggs
1. Put the oats and water in a pan. Bring to the boil and continue until the mixture begins to thicken.
2. In another pan, fry the onion in the butter
3. When the onions are cooked but still firm, add the oats and water. Continue to stir until a porridge consistency is reached
4. Stir in the curry powder and grated nutmeg to taste. The porridge should become a creamy yellow in colour.
5. Add the milk, cream and mackerel. Continue to stir until the mackerel is thoroughly heated through.
6. Cut the eggs into sixths and place on top of the porridge
7. Garnish with a dusting of grated nutmeg and a sprig of parsely